Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Don't Seek Anti-Depressant Drugs For Depression Help - Self Treat Naturally Instead

If you're taking anti-depressant medication, it's quite possible you don't need it. If you want safe depression help, self treating using natural methods is the best option, especially where general depression exists.

Recent stats show that the most commonly prescribed drugs in the U.S. today are anti-depressants, more than high blood pressure, high cholesterol, asthma, or headache medications. Often, it's not necessary, except in certain extreme cases.

The Centre for Disease Control conducted the study which revealed that in 2005, 118 million prescriptions were for antidepressants. One reason for this is that doctors don't have the time to counsel people suffering from depression.

It's quicker to prescribe something to ease their suffering. In many cases, the patients simply ask for the lastest depression treatment they saw advertised, hoping for fast relief.

The problem is that there is a huge list of potential side effects related to anti-depressant drugs, depending on the specific drug. Here's the incredible list, taken from

  • dry mouth
  • drowsiness
  • dizziness
  • constipation
  • nervousness
  • increased perspiration
  • nausea
  • weakness
  • weight gain (Remeron)
  • weight loss/decreased appetite (Effexor and Effexor XR)
  • increased cholesterol
  • risk of seizure
  • withdrawal symptoms when drug stopped
  • fatigue
  • anxiety
  • sleep problems
  • vomiting
  • tremors
  • muscle twitching
  • confusion
  • memory problems
  • sexual dysfunction
  • dangerously high blood pressure
  • stroke
  • blurred vision
  • headache
  • heart palpitations
  • mood swings
  • nightmares
  • hair loss
  • gastrointestinal distress
  • diarrhea
  • thirst
  • restlessness
  • arrhythmia
  • possibility of toxic effects

Having taken antidepressant medications myself years ago, I recall being in a constant state of tiredness, lack of concentration, weakness and an overall listlessness. It was almost impossible to get my work done on my job. Today, I've discovered other ways to deal with my intermittent depressive episodes, which aren't nearly as bad as they were 25 years ago. Mostly, they include keeping busy, doing things I enjoy and that give me a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment, staying active by walking in the woods and in my neighborhood, and relaxing whenever stress gets too much.

To accommodate for dull days of winter and especially dreary days, I've rearranged my living room so my chair is beside the huge picture window which allows the sun to pour into my house.

So rather than seeking the latest miracle drug, choose other options for depression help. Self treatment can include:

  • exercise
  • light therapy or phototherapy (for seasonal affective disorder (SAD) only)
  • massage therapy
  • relaxation
  • dietary improvements
  • increased B-Vitamin intake

Let's take two of these: Exercise and Relaxation.

Exercise

Exercise is a natural mood enhancer. It is very effective for depressed and non-depressed individuals. Evidence supports the fact that exercise might be equally as effective as medications as a depression treatment. Exercises such as walking, running, bike riding, swimming, weight training and stretching are proven to be equally effective as mood enhancers.

The effectiveness of exercise on mood is believed to be both biological and psychological. It stimulates the endorphins in the brain. These are hormones that reduce pain and trigger a sense of well-being. For someone with depression, this makes exercise and physical activity a great natural depression treatment.

The side-effect of this exercise and boost in endorphins is an increased sense of self-esteem, feelings of accomplishment, and a release from daily worries and negative thinking. As well, it's a way to expel built-up hostility that can exist - this is hostility from feelings of inadequacy, stress, and other causes.

Relaxation

The goal of relaxation is to decrease physical and mental tensions. Some exercises you can try include progressive muscle relaxation, diaphragmatic breathing, biofeedback, yoga, guided imagery, meditation and other techniques that involve the body and the mind.

Also, consider seeking professionals for treating depression. These include massage therapists, shiatsu, therapeutic touch and hypnosis experts. My favorites are guided imagery, biofeedback and music relaxation.

Now, I haven't seen music relaxation suggested anywhere. It's a technique I came across on my very own that proved to be the absolute best method to ease tensions and put me in that euphoric state that overtakes any depression. Here's how it works.

I happen to absolutely love Hawaiian music, especially the instrumentals. As a teen, I was listening to island music while my friends were ogling over Pat Boone and Elvis Presley.

When my depression hit in the 70s, I turned on my favorite album and lay on the floor in front of the hi-fi - my head between the two speakers. Then I closed my eyes and added imagery.

I imagined myself dumping all my troubles into a huge urn on the beach, laying out my beautifully colored blanket and lying down in the warm sun. The sweet smelling breeze drifting over me. As the music played I envisioned birds flying in the blue sky overhead.

Suddenly, my blanket began to rise off the sand. Just off shore there was a tropical island, filled with birds of every color. My blanket circled the island, allowing me to enjoy the sounds of the forest, along with the music. The blanket then drifted back to shore and onto the sand.

This is my magical self treatment for depression and just to relax and escape, without the stress of train, bus or plane travel.

Find your own magic and you'll discover that you can eliminate your depression as I did.

Biofeedback is another method I highly recommend. It involves putting electrodes onto your fingers while you watch a video. The goal is to use your mind to control your tension - relax your muscles and see the results on screen. The better you get at this, the more relaxed you'll be.


No comments:

Post a Comment